Thread: First N Frame
View Single Post

Old 10-17-2017, 12:06 AM

Liked 6,931 Times in 2,347 Posts

I have a very nice triplelock .44 HE that has had the front sight modified in a manner similar to yours. My local gunsmith has told me that he could restore it to factory dimensions and that only he and I and possibly a very astute collector would ever know. He also told me that I should try shooting it with the modified sights as someone went to all the trouble for a reason. It is a fixed sight variant and this always plays the devil with me because I have a tendency to shoot high and to the left with fixed sights and if this were the only handgun I owned I would learn to compensate for the aberration and get along just fine. I am inclined to add a Wondersight to this revolver and enjoy shooting it more often.
I do enjoy shooting my Brazilian model of 1917, I had it shortened to 4", installed a Wondersight and while getting it shortened I had my friend install a red ramp Baughman style front sight. I do most of my handgun shooting at 10 yards offhand and on a standard profile target I can stay in the 9 ring off hand unsupported, I do real well left handed with it also. Until I picked up a sweet 3" 24-3 Lew Horton model it was my favorite carry/car piece. I don't fool around with moon clips and switched to .45AR years ago, never looked back. I shoot mostly 185gr. Rainier plated bullets loaded the same as 185gr. Hornady XTPs which are used for carry.
Have fun with your new N-frame, I have found that with the heavier frame .45ACP or .45AR is a real pleasure to shoot. If you haven't tried a Model of 1955 you owe yourself a real treat. I have one of those that was cut down to 5" and worked over to shoot bowling pins, it is a real pleasure to shoot and shoots lights out, much better than I am capable of. I spend too much time shooting black powder muzzleloaders and really should spend more time shooting the nice revolvers I own.
The Following User Likes This Post: