View Single Post

Old 10-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPac View Post
I also have a theory as to how things like canted barrels aren't noticed right away, and that is due to "new gun excitement blindness". Yes, you heard it correct. If most people are like me, when they get a new gun, they are very excited to receive it. That excitement tends to cause things to be overlooked. That's how 2 got by me, which happened to be early on when I was still 'new'. I learned the hard way. However, if someone follows this advice from the start, it will save them from learning the hard way too.
I believe your theory is correct. New gun! you want it, you have been waiting for it, thinking about it for some time, maybe even dreaming of it, and you finally have it in your hands... now you are not going to put it down and suffer through all the longing again.

You subconsciously glaze over any minor non-catastrophic detail that is present. It is not until later when you have cooled down and are going over it with a more objective view that you realize the defect.

Happened to me with a new 686-6 pro series I bought a few months ago. I checked for a canted barrel in the shop... or did I? Anyway, once in my possession at home, CANTED BARREL

The front sight is leaning to the left, had to drift the rear almost all the way to the left stop to get it to cut center at 25m. It is correctable, but now I have to take in to account windage adjustment as well as elevation corrections for different distances. A QUALITY firearm shouldn't leave the factory with unsquared sights.