View Single Post

Old 10-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Liked 441 Times in 81 Posts

I accidentally started another thread on this prior to being notified by another member of this thread.

I think that many of you are missing the point. Not every firearm you own HAS to be of practical use. If that were so, half of the collectors on this site would be considered idiots as well.

This gun is useless. It has limited practicality for any realistic reason. It IS however, a fantastic investment. Niche guns like this come and go. One thing is for certain in the firearms world, rarity in many cases breeds demand and $$$.

Cases in point:

COP Derringer - could buy for $400 or less when new. Can't get one now for less than $1000. the ones I had have always sold for over $1000 within days of listing.

Downsizer WSP - cost a few hundred when new - now? They sell for well over $1000 all day long.

Interarms PPKs of all flavors - could barely give them a way back in the day. Now, check what they SELL for on gunbroker. I am sitting on a mint Interarms stainless .32 PPK that I have been offered $1000 cash for. I can wait another few years and double that.

Bravermen Pen Guns - same story.

When I was a young man, you could snatch up as many Model 28s as you could carry for $200 each. I have 696s as well. I also had a Bond Arms derringer gold barrel set in .44 mag. They quit making barrels in that caliber. I sold the barrel set alone for $500. You all know what the old classics are going for now. If we could go back in time we would have backed the truck up and bought as many as we could in anticipation of the future appreciation.

Why? because they don't make them anymore. Collectors want the unique, the odd, the rare, etc. I made a mint selling hi-cap mags during the weapons band back in the 90's. I also made a mint selling 5.56 ammo during the shortage. No scalping, just good old foresight of future conditions.

If nothing else, it is an example of an American entrepreneur trying something new. I GUARANTEE this little gem will be worth multiples of its current list price within a decade.

I also own some crazy fountain pens, watches, etc. that are not necessarily capable of doing anything a cheap Bic or a Timex can't do. I own them because I can. They bring me the pleasure of ownership and I can always turn them all into more cash than I paid for them in the future.

If we are going to assess the value of every gun based on what cheaper firearm could do the job better, or what the capacity is or whatever, this entire site is irrelevant because a Glock 26 does everything better and cheaper than our beloved J-frames using the same logic.

That said, I still love to carry my J frames because SUBJECTIVELY, I like them more. $399 for an example of a niche little bit of machining and engineering for no other reason than the neato factor is a good enough reason for me.

Firearms are a perfect storm of utility, necessity, investment opportunity and physical asset in which to park $$$ off the grid so to speak.

Just saying... it is good to look outside of the box every now and then.