View Single Post

Old 10-20-2017, 12:44 AM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
It seems every month, I get someone else telling me about how good IPSC/SCSA/etc is for practicing self-defense shooting, and how bullseye isn't.
If I practice precision shooting and using my sights properly, I can still shoot quickly when the situation calls for it. If I only practice shooting fast, I wouldn't be able to take a precision shot if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Accuracy and technique must be perfected. Speed will take care of itself.
I teach this just a tad differently. I use the acronym ASP; Accuracy, Speed, Power.

An Asp is a small, but extremely deadly snake. This shows us that size is NOT the main factor in self-defense.

We'll start at the end:
P - Power: When using a gun, power is what you brought. You cannot increase this through technique or talent. It is what it is.

S - Speed: Fast is great, but is nothing by itself. Anyone can miss fast. However, without some speed, the bad guy strikes first and you may not get the chance to retaliate. Speed comes through practice and repetition.

A - Accuracy: Accuracy is king and the most important aspect of striking back. You may have brought a cannon, you may deploy it faster than Bruce Lee, but if you're not on target it means nothing. A .22LR in the heart will stop anyone. A shotgun slug that grazes the side probably won't even slow the guy down.

So, be accurate first. While practicing your accuracy, add in speed. As you continue to practice, your speed WILL increase. If you're accurate and fast, you won't need to concern yourself about power. It will take care of itself.