View Single Post

Old 10-27-2017, 04:10 PM

Liked 8,135 Times in 3,678 Posts

I too have medium/small hands , most factory and aftermarket grips were too big in the wrong places and I would reshape them to fit with wood rasps and sandpaper and refinish. They would look like 5 miles of bad road .
I ordered some Ahrends , got them unfinished so I could shape them to fit...Surprise ! They fit my hand perfectly....no shaping required!
Kim Ahrend knows how to shape them for us regular guys.
Retro combats in smooth Cocobolo (now unavailable) $70.00.
Many exotic woods are available ( I'm waiting on a set made of Macassar Ebony as I type this )
I have 3 sets of Ahrends now...my model 58 avatar is wearing some and they make the 41 magnum not hurt during shooting.

The only other set that fit as well were some Herrett's Troppers smooth walnut with finger grooves , I traced around my hand, sent in the order and they were made custom to fit my hand. I got these when single and had money.
These now cost about $150 , smooth with finger grooves but are very nice.

For rubber I lean to Pachmayr Compac grips.
How grips feel is very subjective, when trying to decide which Pachmayrs , I took my revolver and went to the dealers, tried the different grips on and when I found some that felt good...bought them.

Don't let anyone tell you grip design and shape doesn't matter...it matters big time. Shooting the model 58 with those Godawful S&W factory stocks was painful and drew blood...no joking ! 6 rounds and I was done with it !
The Ahrends Retro Combats changed all that...they fit .

Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; 10-27-2017 at 04:14 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: