View Single Post

Old 10-31-2017, 05:01 PM

Liked 1,582 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
Well, now...I don't have a SCSW, but this still raises an interesting question for me. And I don't doubt it says what you say it does, okay?

I'll show these grips I have again. They shipped on a Model 28-2 that I purchased brand new on June 7, 1973. I still own the gun and its original box. As you can see, there are no diamond inserts on them. It's a N-numbered gun, by the way, and the grips are not numbered to the gun.

This gun has never changed hands (except between my dad and me), never back to the factory, never worked on. Shortly after I purchased the gun, I bought a pair of factory checkered target grips for it and put the originals away. The targets don't have diamonds, either.

So perhaps earlier 28s shipped with magnas with diamonds, maybe pre-28s or 28s with S-numbers, but I don't believe the later ones (like mine) did.

I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions on this...if anyone's following this thread.
I understand the phase out of the diamond grip. But what I find interesting is your brand new in the box '73 HP having magna's not numbered to the gun. My '72 HP has non-diamond magna's numbered to the gun but my '75 HP has non-diamond not numbered to the gun. The magna's fit like a dream but numbers don't match. But in my case god only knows who had mine or whom might have swapped grips. But they sure seem to match the frame.