View Single Post

Old 11-21-2017, 07:55 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Threescore and ten plus here. Been owning and handling guns for a pretty long spell. I find 'em all fascinating in one way or the other. I think it's remarkable what was made and used (with great results) so very many years ago, and I stand in amazement when I am privileged to hold a firearm made a hundred years ago that will still do the same job as similar firearms made today. It is my observation that just about every firearm ever conceived and built was very effective when used by someone who understood it and burnt enough powder behind lead to figure out where it hit and had the gumption to stand and use it.

I'm an old dedicated revolver man and older models of those make me smile the most. I've never felt unprotected while carrying one. (However, I do know how it feels to be outnumbered and therefore in danger even though armed!). That said, I use different firearms for different things, and I like to find and use what works best for me for those things. I've packed some pretty heavy iron in the past. Really wasn't any other choice!

These days, there are so many choices! I've relatively lately come to appreciate the semi auto platform. And I've also found that I get by better not carrying so much weight all day long! It's been said that an EDC should be comforting rather than comfortable. I say that I can have both without compromising my personal safety. So, yes, I own and use and carry a few select number of plastic semi autos that have proven themselves to me over the course of many rounds down range. And I'd a lot rather surrender a plastic one to the authorities if that should become necessary than something that cost more and is worth a whole bunch more to me!

As has already been stated, if you come to my house and we get around to show and tell, what I'll show you are blued steel revolvers that have been around for a long while. I won't show you my plastic unless you specifically ask to see it. I've got some hammers and other tools you won't see either unless you ask. But if somebody stops by who needs serious attention, they will likely find it coming from the plastic I will probably be carrying.

I think there is room for both. I don't own nothin' that won't work well for me! What makes us smile is different for each of us, and so is what works best for each of us at any given stage of life. Any of them will get the job done, but not all of the inventory get held and handled and shot once in a while with a great big smile and a warm feeling! But I salute every single one of you who owns and uses whatever you personally have tested and chosen that allows you to do your personal best with it. I don't think I would want any of you shootin' at me!!!