View Single Post

Old 11-25-2017, 08:03 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomkinsSP View Post
In 1989 a newly sworn NYPD officer had to buy his own revolver from an approved list. That year the department started an expirament with department owned semi-automatics.

Some, but not all new officers sworn between 1989 and 1994 were provided department owned semis. Those officers could not later elect to carry revolvers. Other officers sworn between 1989 and 1994 had to buy thiet own sidearm, around the end of 89, beginning of 90 a semi joined the approved list.

Officers who purchased thier own sidearm were permitted to carry same after the 1994 elimination of revolvers from the approved list.

The significant part of this is (1) all revolvers carried by NYPD officers are owned by the officer, not the department. (2) any officer with a primary sidearm that is a revolver has 24-28 years of service, probably has a second approved semi and isn't about to sell his revolver.

If I am wrong PM me and we can haggle.
Yep, we bought our own and the gun belonged to you. When the job started offering free semi autos, guys were selling their revolvers for $100, including the leather and speed loaders. The gunshop near 1 Police Plaza used to give $20 for a Model 10. Then they'd sell them for $100. Man, I wish I bought a dozen.
The Following User Likes This Post: