View Single Post

Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 AM

Liked 105 Times in 61 Posts
Default Deer down with Sport II.

Finally put a deer in the freezer with my AR-15. I have a friend who doesn't think .223 is enough for deer. I already had three in the freezer using my trusty Model 94, so to prove a point to my friend, I put one down with my Sport II @ 120 yds using Hornady Black 75gr BTHP. Entry was a little high behind the shoulder, shattered a rib and got the heart and lungs. No exit points, and blood trail was much better than I usually get with my 30-30. Maybe hitting the rib helped, but I've hit ribs and heart plenty of times n the past and not had so much blood to follow. Field dressed 121#s. I will say that it ran further after the shot than they usually do after a hit like this, but I had no trouble tracking. Anyone who has done much whitetail hunting knows that sometimes they go forever even after a perfect hit. I know there are other rounds with polymer tips or soft tips that are more recommended for game. I also intend to test some of these rounds as opportunity allows, but if nothing else, I have proved to myself that I can put em down with an AR-15.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: