Thread: Endshake Help!
View Single Post

Old 01-04-2018, 04:55 AM

Liked 25,733 Times in 8,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPac View Post
Many say that minimal endshake in a S&W revolver is normal and fine. Whether that is per factory spec or not, I'm not sure.

My personal opinion is revolvers should have ZERO endshake. Colts were factory spec'd for ZERO endshake. I expect my S&Ws to be the same.

Will a tiny bit of endshake (.001"/.002") ruin your gun quickly? Probably not, but I'm a firm believer that any endshake at all will just continue to get worse over time due to the back forth ability to peen.

Just my opinion.
I look at End-shake as I look at high end 1911 Pistols.......

When you spend the big bucks for let's say an Ed Brown 1911 (just as an example and I am NOT picking on Ed Brown here) the pistol is fitted so tight and so precise that in the beginning they are usually unreliable, get jammed and have many FTF's. As the pistol wears in things loosen up and become more functional.

If a S&W Revolver had zero End-shake, the Cylinder would bind up and the Revolver would soon cease to function. We all know that it doesn't take too long for the rings of Lead, Carbon & dirt to build up on the Cylinder face and that would be just enough to clog up the works. Any moving parts on any machine that gets dirty so fast needs a tolerance to properly function. If it didn't, premature wear would take place as well. Excess is no good either - that's why there is a "sweet spot" or "range".

Last edited by chief38; 01-04-2018 at 04:56 AM.