View Single Post

Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM

Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Default J-Frame Vise Inserts and Other Help Needed

I just purchased a no-dash 63 from which I plan to remove the barrel and install a Hart barrel blank, probably finishing it to a compact 3" barrel length (Relax, I will be able to put it back to its original state if I'm careful...and that's why I'm posting my first thread here). The intent is to have all the desirable features of the original 6-shot 63 design and aesthetics but with the handier, and probably higher quality, 3" barrel. I don't really like the current M63 internal locks, the way the presence of the lock changes the frame lines, the non-circular extractor star, the MIM parts, the plastic front sights, and the enclosed ejector rod, hence I will be modifying a vintage 63. I have a gunsmithing background and could probably figure some of these questions out by myself, but I would really prefer learning from someone who has done this before.

Question #1: Does anyone make inserts for S&W J-Frames? I have checked Brownells and other potential sources to no avail. It seems like they just don't exist off the shelf.

Question #2: If inserts are unavailable, what have others done to make vise inserts and barrel wrenches for J-frames?

Question #3: I've removed S&W barrels in the past, and it went well enough, but never a J-frame, and never a stainless steel barrel. How tightly torqued are the J-frames, and do the stainless threads tend to gall?

FWIW, I plan to install the Hart blank (it's about 8" long) and leave it full diameter and at that length, then experiment by progressively shortening the barrel to about 3", depending on the results, and finally contouring the barrel to emulate either the original 63 contour and shape, or possibly another, slimmer shape, like the older Outdoorsman-like contour.

Thanks in advance for any insights you might have.

TBR
The Following 2 Users Like Post: