View Single Post

Old 01-15-2018, 10:56 PM

Liked 211 Times in 94 Posts

I'm not a fan of the internal lock, for more than one reason...but I prefer frame mounted firing pin, and for out of the box smoothness you can't beat the MIM hammer/trigger (I've read many armorers that specialize in S&W wheel guns note that a fresh MIM set will be as smooth as forged with action job..and it gets better with use. My pre-lock 625-6 has an incredible trigger from the box). How many broken heat treated and case hardened MIM triggers or hammers have you seen?

I only point out the above, to say that we don't all "despise" all of the new features...and some actually like some of them better (although I've yet to read the post of the guy that prefers the IL...even if they don't mind it).

As far as bore laser sight; as noted in another reply, this only gives you an idea of how the cylinder and specific chamber is aligned with the frame. If the barrel was not centered with the cylinder/chamber...it would still shine the laser down the barrel and appear on target. However, they do make a "real" laser bore sighter that I have, that actually goes in the muzzle, not the less reliable bullet shaped variety. This type would give you a good idea of bore to "centered" sight alignment. It's a good investment, since it can be used from .22-.50 caliber and also to 12 gauge shotgun, and everything in between. Link below for example. I use it after installing new sights, and can even be used at 50 yards or so with a rifle to get scope nearly perfect before heading to the range. It's shortcoming is that you need about 3.5" to 4"barrel minimum. So not good for snubbies or sub compacts.

Lastly, why do you think hundreds of millions of guns made over the last couple hundred years have adjustable rear sights? Obviously not because the factories expect POI and POA to be exactly superimposed on each other on a new gun. If the barrel "looks" straight and not obviously overclocked, canted, etc., you should be able to get your sight (your point of aim) to correlate to the hole you are making down range (your point of impact). My 625-6 has the rear blade about 1/16" right of center to get me right in the center of target at 20 yards. Should I send it back to S&W for repair? Barrel appears perfectly straight to my naked eye. If you are only interested in guns with "perfect alignment", I'm afraid you will find a very limited selection.

One more lastly: I've been looking for certain pre-lock guns on gone-broker as they will never be found at any local dealer. Such as 5" 27/28/627 as example. I will pay at least $500 more than the very abundant PC627, 627Pro, for a gun that I have to buy sight unseen without checking things like trigger push off, cylinder gap clearance, timing, lockup, etc. I'm at the mercy of the seller and their description. I'm starting to think about going new instead on some, lock or no. I would most likely delete it, and plug it just out of spite. Getting very hard to justify paying the extra cash these days....I'm not made of money. I wonder if the hogue extended cylinder release would cover hilary's hole? Might be a good "fix"