Thread: NEWS JUST IN!
View Single Post

Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 PM

Liked 824 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMutt View Post
So the match chamber is more tight fitting and harder to eject, for more deliberate accurate, slow firing?

Is this barrel going to be a big difference accuracy wise? more so with a match chamber? would a sport chamber offer less accuracy but more reliability? Learning new stuff here....I'm all spongy
Good grief... my first thought is "gimme a break!!!".

But then... If you want to shoot expensive match ammo for bench rested groups the match chamber with the ammo it likes best should give best accuracy. Will it in a polymer gun? I dunno.

What I do know is I have (pistols) Ruger 22/45 Lites and and 2 VQ Scorpions. The VQ's are a 6" with a match chamber and a 4 1/2" with a sport chamber. I started shooting the pistol part of rimfire challenge with the Rugers and have switched to the 4 1/2" VQ.

The Rugers have the biggest chamber. They also shoot the worst. With the ammo I usually shoot I'm not sure I can find an accuracy difference between the sport and match chambered VQ LLV (Scorpion) uppers. I can tell a difference in how they run. I have to run different recoil springs to get reliable function. The Rugers with their looser chambers get the stiffest recoil springs. The sport chambered VQ a step lighter and the match chambered VQ upper gets one a further step lighter. You walk a fine line on the pistols getting their bolts to run full cycle distance but not beating up the bolt stop and frame. The tighter chambers are more finicky. If I wanted to use the 6" match chambered VQ upper for speed shooting like steel matches I'd ream the chamber.

How will the trick 15-22 VQ barrel work? We'll see. I certainly expect they'll shoot better but their lighter weight was what I'm after.

Last edited by tomcatt51; 01-18-2018 at 06:41 PM.