View Single Post

Old 02-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslaver View Post
I made my frame wrench inserts in a manner similar to you. My wrench itself is made from angle iron, 2 pieces that clamp together with 1/4 20 bolts and hold the inserts tight to the frame. One piece of angle has a piece of round stock welded to it for a handle. Its ugly but works well. I use oak blocks to clamp my barrels.

I have made a ejector rod lug using a piece of square stock, drilling it for the spring and lug, then using a end mill to make a slot for it in the bottom of the barrel and silver soldering it in place.

I have done a few stainless barrels with no problem. They are some type of 400 series stainless and I don't think it galls like 300 series can. But, I understand your concern. Once stainless starts to gall it goes south fast.
Thanks for the information. This Hart barrel has just barely enough diameter to allow an integral ejector rod lug...barely.

As I contemplate all the details, a number of interesting options emerge. I could leave the bull barrel on there, or perhaps just shorten it just enough to continue to allow use of the barrel-mounted 4x Leupold, but that departs from my original plan of a handy 63. I also thought about maybe a longer thin barrel that emulates the lines of the old K-frame Outdoorsman barrels, but more petite. That one still intrigues me. The problem of turning the barrel down to a gracefully tapered contour, while leaving material on it to allow for an integral ejector rod detent on the bottom of the barrel, is a bit daunting, however…not that I can't do it with great effort, along with an integral front sight, but I'm not sure I want to go to that much work. That option also is inconsistent with my handy 63 goal.

Then, I got a better idea. Forming the integral front sight and ejector rod detent lug would be greatly simplified if I went with no taper and octagoned the barrel. If I stick with the 3" barrel plan, it's not really that much machining to octagon it while leaving and shaping the material for the front sight and rod detent lug...so, that's what I think I'm going to do.

Tonight's the night.
The Following User Likes This Post: