View Single Post

Old 02-09-2018, 04:22 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opoefc View Post
If you Google J.P.M.C. 1924 you come up with J.P.Morgan Chase, which I doubt has anything to do with 2nd model Schofield. The few Schofields with militia markings I've seen were stamped on the back strap (Calif. Militia, etc. ) with rack or identity numbers. Ed.

Ed, Looking at the stamping a bit closer, it appears not stamped by a skilled hand. In other words ... a "gawd" awful, one letter / number at a time, careless, disproportionate, series of stamped letters and numbers. Something resembling what my kids might have done in 1st grade with a letter / number ink-stamp and ink pad kit and paper.

It reads J.P M.C 1924 (not J.P.M.C) with most of the lower section of the letters and numbers stamped lighter, with the uppers deeper. This along with a few double struck (or a rebound from one impact) stamps.

My initial take is that I don't believe it to be anything that might add an official or historic value to it.

It does, however, add a certain mystique of the "unknown" ... even if just the though of "who the heck did that and why" ?

It is still a Schofield and as you stated earlier should be evaluated for the condition as it is now. Nothing extra (and not sure if should be deducted) for the stamping.

Do you recall, years back the Wells Fargo Schofields were valued LESS than the non Wells Fargo marked ? I recall that existed well into the 1990s when the prices of the two more or less evened up. Thereafter the Wells Fargo (authentic Wells Fargo) started to appreciate to a value higher than the non-stamped.

It was then that several Wells Fargo marked Schofields with suspicious markings started to appear. If you recall, last year sometime I posted a response in someone's thread about 2 Wells Fargo Schofields that appeared to be different guns, but with the same serial number.

REVISION: forensic examination of these 2 with all the best photos I had saved at the time, were sent to Charles Pate who determined, with great accuracy the 2 guns were one and the same. The only remaining issue was an illegible serial number on the butt. IIRC this is where I lost interest in it.

I suppose anything "can" happen but then there are certain things that defy common sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download-x.jpg (20.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 823 Butt photo enlarged 2.jpg (81.0 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by model3sw; 02-11-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: photo added