View Single Post

Old 02-10-2018, 05:40 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,926 Times in 331 Posts
Default Smith & Wesson N Frame Stocks / Grips - A Reference Guide

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I had been working on this for a while and was at the point where I needed more feedback/opinions/research as I had exhausted my sources. I wanted this to be a fairly comprehensive overview and hoped that other knowledgeable collectors could assist in taking this a step further. It is somewhat intimidating to post something like this, as there is not really a bona fide correct answer for some of the items and dates discussed. Hopefully I have provided a good starting point and now we can refine some details, but I’d prefer that we don’t get caught up in the minutia. Although some would say we’re already in the minutia...

My goal is to establish some generally accepted time-frames and share information. If someone would like a more deep dive into a specific topic, may I suggest you start a new thread to discuss and we can revise this thread later. For example, the idea to discuss factory finishes used on wood stocks? Excellent idea and this is something I have long wondered about too. Also, I plan to start a separate thread on Custom Stocks, Sandersons, Ropers, Farrants, Hurst, etc. But that is another can of worms!

To Ralph and Lee, in regards to the Directive on Magna Stocks...
Thank you for your input. I will revise the language to reflect this. I know that customers could order and specify what they wanted including magnas vs. service stocks with(out) grip adaptor. What I meant in my original statement above was that Magna Stocks were to be made and supplied with the .357 Magnum but not that they replaced the Service Stocks. Both types were used and correct for the .357 Magnum.
I find the Sept. 5, 1935 Directive to be a little confusing. Was this a directive to start producing Magna Stocks OR to start producing Magnas with metal stock circles? I interpret this to mean that the Magna Stocks were built exclusively for the flagship .357 Magnum and were to be used as standard issue unless specifically ordered with Service Stocks. If a large law enforcement agency were to place an order for 50 .357 Magnums in the late ‘30s would they ship with Magnas or Service Stocks? As you know the .357 Magnum is a little different as you could specify almost any option you wanted which makes this somewhat of endless debate… but what is the more common/likely scenario

Serial Numbers:
“1929 – 1938: Checkered Diamond Service Stocks; Large Silver Medallion (*First Style of Stocks to have the serial number stamped on the inside of the right panel).”
I meant that it appears this style of stocks were the first style to have serial numbers stamped on them. The early ones appear to have pencil written serial numbers and at some point the stamped numbers emerge. Was hoping someone would have a “low” stamped serial number to share… I’m guessing an early 38/44 in the 3X,XXX serial range is a good guess?

Stock Circles:
Thanks Lee and Richard (RKMesa) for further guidance on stock circles. The early ones did not have patent dates and at some point they emerge with patent dates in the late ’37-38 time period. I think we’re all in agreement!

Lee (Handejector),
Great point on Walnut Stocks!!! You bring up some very good observations. Looking forward to any more photos or primary resources you have at your disposal. Especially from the WW1 period to WWII.
SWCA #3106 - SWHF #643

Last edited by Hoosier45; 03-27-2018 at 11:00 PM.
The Following 17 Users Like Post: