View Single Post

Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcavalier View Post
No doubt, so the S/Ns before 1001 were used by S&W "in-house" to VIPs and such?
Jack Webb's, as Roy replied to Mike Borkovic's question in the "ask Roy" section of the private S&WCA side of the forum, was his badge number, 714. I don't believe there were a series or run of certain numbers prior to the production run starting at 1001, but there were some specifically numbered lower than 1001, as presentations or promotional gifts ... and ... a few tool room experimental in the X-### serial range. One of the older papers / parts list (included with the earlier 39s after the green booklet ceased) supplied with a pre-39 shows a "X" serial numbered, tool room, pre-39. I have yet to see one of those few X serial numbered pre-39s but I'd be humbled and impressed to see one, in person, even if the owner did not wish to part with it.

I have, however, seen and handled, just one single action 9mm (or model 44) many years ago in Tulsa in a member to member sale.

My 1021 has a different extractor than the commercially released 9mm with the long extractor. As soon as I get some time I'll post a few pictures.

Brad, Engine49guy, has studied the finer changes in the frames, hammers, levers and the magazines when short to a bit longer to very long, to the final most common production version, etc. which more precisely extends the one, major, study/ article written by Richard McMillan an S&WCA Journal ... not sure which issue but at "least" 20 years ago, IIRC. I scanned that article (which is amazing) and will gladly share with fellow members who ask. I'm hoping other member 39 collectors could help with this and other resarch.

BTW, I need a set of pre-model number stocks where the left side panel is non-relieved for the safety lever. One of my pre-39s has a set of stocks that are very nice condition, however, not "correct"for the short safety lever but it is the the higher end of the serial number range of the pre-39s so may be those made in preparation for the production to change to the longer safety lever.

Also, after conferring with a few collectors, it seems ALL the pre-39s had magazines with the flat follower much like the Pre-70 Colt 1911s.

We need the earliest serial number sighting of a ANIB Model 39 with the stamped steel followers (Figure 8s).

I have about 30 or 40 spare mags with the stamped steel (figure 8) followers with a variety of different bottom plates in length and markings.

I'd like to get a group together to document those. Some of them have freakishly long tongues on the bottom plate. I also have 3 Military magazines with the stamped steel (figure 8) followers. 1 blue and 2 are chrome plated. Anyone else see chrome plated magazines of any 39 variation, but with stamped steel followers, regardless of classifications.

Another topic concerning the magazines I am not sure "if" or "when" S&W started supplying nickeled bottom plates on magazines supplied with nickeled M39s and 39-2s. It seems not to be a "rule" but rather an exception ... or so I surmise. For example, IIRC the 39-2 Connecticut State Police came with 2 x 2 tone magazines (plastic followers) with nickeled floor plates that were serial numbered to the Commemorative number (not the S&W serial number).

I wish S&W had made that exact model without the Connecticut State Police Comm logos and inscriptions because I think that one looks "hot" ... and ... it was supplied with a low profile, fully adjustable (height and just not windage like the standard "lollipop" rear sight" rear sight when before that only MMC made a fully adjustable rear sight that did not require machine work to mill off the factory front sight (integral on the slide) and stake-in a higher new sight, like Millett. I still have a few sets of Millets and the Millet installation tool which isn't worth a darn unless your're committed to doing the sight upgrade (to full target sights) properly.

We all know if a nickel gun had to go out the door and there were no nickeled bottom plates in stock, they leave boxed up and shipped with blue mags. I have seen what seems to be stainless or galvanized (not sure if galvanized magazine bodies and floor plates but not sure if there was, actually, a nickel plated magazine body. Can anyone help ?

I don't know that I ever surmised a "rule" pertaining to matte finish magazines ... these seem almost black parkerized but I cannot state that to a fact.

Last edited by model3sw; 02-13-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: amended added data.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: