View Single Post

Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Liked 48,761 Times in 9,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_lover View Post

Oh, and as much as I’m tempted to have a go at removing those grips, not going to happen. When my sister gives me that piece of missing ivory from the grip, I shall go in search of smith who can clean, refresh, and do no harm.

Thanks, guys!

Pam
Welcome aboard.
Glad to hear that. I shuddered upon hearing the advice to beat on the screw, heat the ivory, and tap on the grip. Sorry guys, but I've removed my share of grips, and I have YET to tap a screw or heat ancient ivory. When I lose the hand strength and dexterity to get them off like I always have, I'll quit.
This is not the gun and the grips that a novice should learn on!

BTW- I have seen lots of escutcheon nuts that were knocked out of grips by tapping the screws while the grip stayed where it was. It almost always chips the grip around the nut. I also hate to pull a pair of grips and see all those screwdriver dings inside the grip like a woodpecker had been working on it where it was tapped off. Yeah, it doesn't show with the grips on the gun, but why ding them up? Do no harm. Be good stewards.
You might want to rethink that.
There! I feel better.

Pam, you are wise in having a good conservator clean that gun up. It does need it. Left alone, it will continue to degrade.
That is nickel that the norcal sea air has been working on for those 50 years you mentioned.

NEAT old gun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003 (2).jpg (100.4 KB, 43 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: