View Single Post

Old 02-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Liked 200 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDeparture View Post
Ed,

My bad, sorry. I misunderstood your question. What I meant to say is that SN 2xx is marked on the right side of the frame butt, UNDER the right grip panel.

To make things clear:

Barrel markings are identical to the ones in your picture.

Serial number 2xx is stamped on metal on 3 different parts: barrel, cylinder and frame (right side of the butt, UNDER the right panel).

Left grip panel is not marked. Right grip panel has a completely different 5 digit serial number (the last number do not match with 2xx)

Thanks again,

NewDeparture

There is your answer. Providing the grips are original to the pistol that's your serial number and its probably in the high 30,000 range. The reason it does not match the 2xx number is because the 2xx number is an assembly number and it had nothing to do with the serial number. That also kills the notion of it being some type of Russian Contract reject as they did not use assembly numbers but were serial numbered throughout.

The attachment points look like they are factory but I am sure S&W would not have obliterated the serial when it was adapted for the stock.

We need to find someone with a factory stocked model to see where the serial was placed. JLeiper is the authority on the Russian Contract stuff, shoot him a PM and see if you can get him to respond

Last edited by DesmoEd; 02-17-2018 at 12:31 PM.