View Single Post

Old 02-18-2018, 03:00 AM

Liked 261 Times in 120 Posts

Hi Whitwabit,

Were I you, I'd thoroughly analyze likely circumstances that would require deadly force. This might seem like heresy: you aren't gonna gain appreciable benefit going with a .357 Mag over a .38 Special +P outta a belly gun. In fact, the .357 Mag might be more detrimental than beneficial.

I own a Model 60. It's gotta be 35 years old. It's a fantastic handgun. I used to carry it off-duty. But it has severe limitations. With the FBI Load, it is close to unwieldy. I can put 5 rounds double-action & point shooting into vitals of a silhouette at 10'. But it ain't easy with +P rounds.

A belly gun is a close range self-defense handgun when no other options exist; e.g., running the heck outta a danger zone. I'm talkin' 10' or less. I'm talkin' draw, point, and shoot. If you take time to aim, you're almost assuredly gonna take rounds distance. This makes the .357 Mag a detriment.

I've read that there are guys who can shoot a .357 Mag out of a belly gun. I've never met one. But I'm sure that there are.

At belly gun distance, your gun's muzzle must ALWAYS remain pointed at a threat. Recoil that takes your gun's muzzle off of a threat is a huge disadvantage. If you have to reacquire sight picture after every round you might have to fire, you'd give your threat opportunity to put rounds on you.

.357 Mag muzzle flash outta a 4" barreled handgun can be seen by orbiting astronauts. Suffice it to write, outta a belly gun, .357 Mag muzzle flash with screw with your night vision...day vision, too. The horrendous report from of a .357 Mag outta a 4" barreled handgun can be disorienting. Outta a belly gun, .357 Mag muzzle blast outta a belly gun might bust eardrums.

Here's the reality: a large So Cal law enforcement agency's armorer told me that even out of a 2.5" Model 66, using the FBI Load is better than a .357 Mag. He was using the biological science of human incapacity. At belly gun distance, the FBI Load is optimum. A .357 Mag won't hasten incapacity.

I consider my Model 60 a one bad guy, neck & up gun. At belly gun distance, the longer bullets fly the higher the probability of my taking rounds, and taking rounds ain't wise.

If you were to wander to the vicinity of the murder exchange we know as Chicago, I'd recommend forgetting the belly gun thing. Go with a full-size 1911-A1 with 230 grain bullets and at least 2 spare mags.

If you're gonna go belly gun, I'd suggest your giving a very long look at the S&W Classic 36-10 2". It's the way I'd go were I you.

I wish you my sincere best.
The Following User Likes This Post: