Thread: CC for the Mrs
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2018, 12:19 PM

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
First, congratulations on your plans. About the rest.......oh boy.....

She needs to handle, and if possible, shoot a couple examples to make her own gun choice. She may need/want different grips, steel frame, trigger work/Lady Smith version, etc. About holsters.............most of us have boxes of holsters we've tried and decided didn't work. Women are worse about this than we are and have a few physical differences, so what you think is a wonderful holster may not work for them (this makes me bulge in the wrong places/I can't get the gun out). Quite a few LGSs have used holster boxes, you may want to do a show and tell, let her try yours, look through the used box for examples. In short, explore options.

Remember, she not only has to lug it around, she has to shoot it enough to be good with it. You're both striving for unconscious competence.

Once upon a time I had a willowy lady friend who didn't have an American Express card, but wouldn't leave home without her Gold Cup in a shoulder holster. Worked for her-given the fashions of the day.
Moore, thanks for the input.
I guess I should have included some more info. Wife has been shooting with me for the last 31 years, she is a proficient marksman with a .22 rifle and a safe shooter with a pistol (she can handle it and probably hit what she's aiming for).

Currently all we have is a Charter Arrms undercover, for me this is lacking in two respects. 1, the Undercover will only handle 38 standard, not +p. 2, I'm concerned that 25 to 50 rounds a month in practice would wear it out.

My experience with the 642 is that after 3,000 rounds it was still tight.

The wife likes the size and grip of the C.A. she's not an insubstantial woman but I know from personal experience that if the gun isn't almost "transparent" you might hesitate to grab it once in a while. I know that little .38 just disappears once you get used to it. I know this is all subjective but I have a decade of experience with the 642 and over 3 decades of experience with the lady ;-)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk