View Single Post

Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 PM

Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Default Range Report...Finally

So, the day started at Ace Hardware, since I needed an 11/32” drill to open up the holes on my barrel wrench, but, I mention it because, while there, I noticed the store has started carrying “Gun Screws” in the various screw drawer-boxes, in the common gunsmithing sizes like 6-48, 8-40, 10-32, etc. Kudos to Ace! Opening the holes had the desired effect, as the feel when tightening the jaws was much better, and I think I was able to get them cinched down better.

After re-installing the 4” Hart, using the permanent witness mark I stamped on the barrel and frame, I trued up the barrel in my mill vise and started machining the TDC of the barrel for the Talley rimfire rings. This went well enough, but it would have been difficult to make room for doing the same machining on the 3”.

I realize this is not the configuration most would expect to see on such an application, but I dislike the toothy look of most rail-type scope bases; it’s just inconsistent with a sleek looking revolver like a 63 (yes, I realize hanging a scope out on a 4” barrel is also odd, but, I gotta be me). After machining two notches into the barrel, so that the rings sink into the notches and do not rely upon the clamping force of the ring hooks alone for a secure hold, I then machined the dovetails, within the width of the notch, and no more. If one then relieves the corners of the ring hooks, the whole ring sinks down into the notch and will clamp very securely to the barrel, without any external evidence of a dovetail or any other machining. I started doing this on some of my rimfire rifles years ago, but it’s the first time I’ve tried it on a handgun. I had to remove the rear sight, but, as you will see, it worked perfectly.

I got to the range, and it sounded like a young war, with most of the shooters shooting their various AR-15s. Fortunately, the 25-yard benches were open, so I quickly set up. Now, I don’t know about you, but I HATE IT when someone just shows up to an active range and immediately expects everyone to stop what they are doing so he/she can set up targets. It shows zero consideration for others. I always get set up, sight in, and start shooting groups at existing targets until a natural stopping point presents itself, even if it takes a while.

You’ll note the Leupold protrudes considerably from the muzzle. I may eventually use a bell-less scope that can be mounted further back, but for load testing I wanted the “full” 4x available. Doing so, though, required my putting a cardboard tube over the scope bell, to protect it from the muzzle blast/fouling. It was quite gratifying to know my machining was true enough that I was able to get on paper with only two shots and sighted in in only 5 rounds.

Again, the first group was fired at an existing target, before I set up targets; it’s the group right above the numeral “5”, way under 1” at 25 yards! This was with some special R-50 for tight match chambers, and I only had 25-30 rounds with me, but each group looked just like this; well under 1”, and all shots in a squirrel’s head. The Magazine and Wolf MT were not quite as tight, but were still all under 1.5”:

I find this performance remarkable for a number of reasons. First and foremost, even with the scope, I felt I was only able to keep the crosshairs in the 1 3/16” black part of the bullseye for each shot. I believe most of the dispersion was from my hold, but I think the revolver shows great promise, as many of the groups showed 2 or 3 rounds in the same hole. Second, the wind was acting strangely. There would be 2-3 minutes of strong gusts, followed by 30-45 seconds of complete calm. Try as I might, I could not get any 5-shot groups shot during the calm conditions. Third, this is remarkable because the 63 is a compact, lightweight revolver with a short 4” barrel, although the new Hart barrel adds about 4 ounces to the revolver.

I didn’t want to stop all the other shooters, and I was running out of time, so I didn’t bother retrieving my targets, but I learned all I need to know: this is a shooter that will actually outshoot many rifles. It easily outshoots a shorts-only Winchester 52 sporter I once built (later rechambered to .22 LR with great results). I’m pleased as can be. Interestingly, the R-50 would drop right into each chamber, but the extraction was very stiff. On the other hand, the Magazine and Wolf, that were a tight fit when chambering, extracted easily without a bobble.

I plan to go to the range on a calmer day to test and retest a number of types of ammunition. I guess I could try shooting some groups using the same chamber for all 5 of the shots. We'll see. Then, I'll take the 4" off, install the 3", and machine it into an octagon shape.

TBR

UPDATE: Range Report #2

On the first range session, I got mostly under 1" groups at 25 yards, with a few in the 1.5" range, but I didn't ever feel confident I was holding the crosshairs within the black bull when each shot went down range. This time, I used a target with a 1/2" blaze orange bull, and this allowed me to see the crosshairs clearly against the orange. This made a huge difference in my confidence, and I am fairly confident the crosshairs were in the orange as each shot released. Also, I clearly got better at holding and shooting, the more I shot: the classic learning curve.

Here's the mini-beast at the range:

The first group with the Wolf MT, just three shots to foul the barrel. This got M63 shivers running up and down my spine:

Here is a more typical group using the Wolf MT; about 1":

Then, I switched to the R-50, and the groups immediately shrank down to 5/8" to .750". Here are some typical groups with the R-50. In all, I probably shot 12 to 15 groups. Note how two and three shots are still going in the same smallish hole:

I dispensed with the cardboard tube to cover the protruding scope objective this time, and this is how it looked after about 80 rounds. I see no evidence of any fouling on the lens, and it wipes right off the scope tube with my finger, so I think I'll keep shooting it this way:

I also noticed that the fliers from a handgun definitely "fly" farther from the group than would be the case with a rifle. Of course, there are many more degrees of freedom shooting a compact 4" revolver.

I think I'll try shooting all 5 shots in a group with the same chamber next and see how the groups change, if any. In any case, this revolver will make mincemeat of a squirrel's head out to 25 yards. Kinda makes me want to forget about the octagon 3" and leave it as a squirrel sniping revolver

TBR

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 03-20-2018 at 03:32 PM.