View Single Post

Old 02-25-2018, 11:04 PM

Liked 61 Times in 35 Posts

Now I will admit did I want to have a gun in the situations I was involved in? Yes I did. Never felt so naked. However I also realize that when we want to make a solution to a problem it needs to work in all situations.

Not every school would have someone or a group of people who even are comfortable with a gun let alone proficient enough to use them in either self defense or in a search/engage type of role. Hired security? Unlikely. I don’t think the guy who gets paid 15 dollars an hour is going to be the one to do this either

No what is needed is better management of time. Faster response by the school and first responders with improved alarm systems and structures required by code much like we do with fire code that will increase the saftey of those inside.

Then for those schools that may be well away from help, rural schools for example. The local school board may want to think about the options they have and determine what best to do to keep their kids and staff safe and respond.

If a schools would choose do this, they should consider locked carbines equipped with low power scopes and frangiable rounds along with tatical vests that would identify them to police arriving on the scene. Carrying a pistol is totally inadequate for the type of situations and distances involved in most schools, and does bring with it some other issues.

I personally don’t think this is a good option, however I also realize that in some areas of our country help can be a long way away. In that case I don’t think anyone should prohibit the people in those areas from ensuring they are able to stay safe. Some states do allow local schools to develop their own police forces. However, I’m not aware of any that have taken it to that level. Their are lots of liabilities involved that most school districts don’t seem willing to take on.

Last edited by Angus46; 02-26-2018 at 02:54 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: