View Single Post

Old 02-28-2018, 10:54 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,967 Times in 3,664 Posts

Same church---different pew------------------------

I have a NM #3 Target in a caliber which rendered it essentially a one of a kind----and valued accordingly; and the latch/rear sight assembly was broken---broken as in a physical separation requiring a master TIG welder-----AND master gunsmith. Step one was to create a fall-back position (just in case)---acquire a replacement assembly for a 120+ year old firearm. Surprisingly, that turned out to be no problem---at a cost of $200. Then, on to finding that master TIG welder and master gunsmith.

The typical response from pretenders went along these lines: "I think I can fix it."-----"I'd be glad to give it a try.". Then I stumbled upon one Chris Hirsch (Check with Google.)---a real, honest to God GUNSMITH specializing in the repair and restoration of antique firearms. His response: "I'm sure I can fix it."

Off it went to Texas. Back it came from Texas----maybe three weeks. That which was well and truly broken was essentially as new---the repairs were completely invisible. The tab---$75. You probably should ponder that charge for a bit. I did just that. Here's what I decided: It took Mr. Hirsch virtually no time at all to fix it. That's because he KNEW exactly what to do, and EXACTLY how to do it---and had all the necessary equipment at his fingertips. Sounds pretty much like a professional doesn't it?

Many of the tales I've read here sound like the folks were dealing with someone less than a professional. That brought to mind this old saying: "Does it hurt when you do that? Don't do that!"

Ralph Tremaine

By the way, I still have that spare latch/sight assembly.

Last edited by rct269; 02-28-2018 at 10:56 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: