View Single Post

Old 03-03-2018, 02:21 PM

Liked 3,535 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilminator View Post
I purchased a brand new M&P15 yesterday. Was in the process of zeroing this evening. I had fired 15 rounds over about 15 minutes. When I squeezed the trigger next, the gun blew up, knocking my glasses and earmuffs off, and burning my right forearm. As near as I can figure, the round didn’t fully seat and allow the chamber to close BUT the gun fired anyway. Much of the gas blew out through the magazine exploding it into pieces and sending unfired rounds everywhere. It scared the **** out of me. I am an army vet and have never seen anything like this. I’m taking it back to dealer tomorrow and expect he will be helpful, but ***....I don't feel comfortable with another S&W. Will probably just get my money back. Is this a problem with this model or did I just get the one in a million?
Quote:
I will attach a couple pictures. They aren’t very good. The carrier is stuck in place I assume with the expended round in chamber. The bulk of the energy blew out the magazine well. Thanks for the well wishes....I am very thankful!! I’ve grown up around firearms and spent 6 years in the army. Ive literally seen hundreds of thousands of rounds go down range, never seen anything like this. It could have been a lot worse.
Quote:
The weapon was wiped down, and thoroughly inspected prior to loading. The ammo was new factory loads. I bought several boxes at the same time I bought the gun. It is Federal XM193F M193 ball ammo. 5.56mm which is what my rifle is chambered for. There were 16 rounds fired, there were 16 holes in the target. One of the last group fired hit about 10 inches low at 25 yards. I assume this was the final round that was so low because the detonation occurred without the breach being fully closed. My guess but I'm open to other theories. I took the gun to the dealer today and we called S&W together. I documented everything and left the gun with the dealer. S&W asked a number of preliminary questions and sent us a shipping label to return. The dealer agreed with me that the gun detonated out of battery. I expect S&W to contact me when they receive the weapon and make some determination. Thanks for all the concern.
Quote:
S&W response was No Response. They said they sent letters to dealer, dealer says they didn't. This comes as no surprise to me! S&W is just like everyone else in this country. No personal or corporate responsibility!

I accept my responsibility! I should have done more research. I would have seen that mine is a common problem. Bad design, bad instruction, bad operator....who knows. It just happens a lot! Had I visited this forum or simply googled this rifle, I never would have bought it. My Bad!

As for you folks that want to judge me and espouse your expertise about what "really”happened, turn off your computers and go outside and talk to someone. You aren't nearly as smart as you think you are.

For the folks who offered helpful advise and understanding....thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSig View Post
The way I read it S&W replaced or repaired the rifle but would not offer an explanation as to what happened. This is to be expected. When there is a failure of this nature it is rare that the company will disclose what possibly could be a defect in the product. Doing so opens them up to liability.
Uh, no. Reread all four posts by Kilminator. His latest claim is S&W is lying about contacting his dealer concerning the rifle.

I could understand his concern about using another S&W rifle if this truly happened. So far none of his posts indicate that S&W has done anything but accept the rifle back from the dealer. His first post was from 1/11/18. S&W may be backed up right now, but they have always given claims of product defects priority if for no other reason than to protect themselves from bad press on the Internet.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: