View Single Post

Old 03-11-2018, 02:23 PM

Liked 9,287 Times in 3,716 Posts

Originally Posted by BAM-BAM :
For the Officers responding here; have your Departments developed protocols for you to follow? Or is there "a gap" in your training..... that could leave you making it up as you go... and possibly be left hanging in the wind by your command/political structure. A lawyer representing his/her client; would have a duty to his client, to exploit a perceived training gap.
Control of a scene is control of a scene. Control of a person is control of a person, and how that is done is driven (in simple terms) by the nature of the event and the actions of the suspect. As noted above, this whole "deescalation" concept is not sound as a matter of both law and tactics. Cops always get to prevail; always get to control the matter; always get to use more force than the suspect - in other words, "escalate". SUSPECTS are mandated by both Constitutional case law and statutory law to comply - they have to deescalate.

Departments are developing (should have been long done by now) training to deal with the lawful carry of firearms, but some have been dumb. This is something that should be addressed by BRUTAL discipline of command personnel, but rarely is. Remember that in a circumstance such as being discussed here, in which there has allegedly or actually been unlawful violence, the amount of control that will be "reasonable", the Constitutional test for a seizure under the 4th Amendment is pretty high, and likely to be foreign to decent people. That doesn't make it wrong.

I also consider the context. I am almost never without at least one gun. I am legal in doing so. What I expect for a response in Washington, at least until the moonbats and apologists for the criminal feral finish destroying the state, is not what I expect in CA (a place I only go to visit/assist a friend with a legal matter and to visit my favorite dog rescue). CA and IL are bad enough. If for some reason I completely lost my mind and went to some really awful place like MD or NJ, I am sure the context would be even different.