View Single Post

Old 03-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Liked 340 Times in 181 Posts

Police shooting studies show that even trained law enforcement miss on average 80% of the shots fired. Put another way, the “hit rate” was only 20%. Of course the distance mattered with closer higher and further away lower. But if I remember the studies (NYC & Detroit) even 10 feet or less they still missed 60% of the time.

My take away is that people less exlerienced and trained than law enforcement officers will likely have no better results and most likely far worse results. So you may as well count that you will miss at least half (50%) of the shots fired. All the more reason to make damn sure you have no other alternative at your disposal before drawing and firing your weapon.

Automatic Physiological things occur which no human has control over. Adrenaline will be released which causes shaky hands etc. which will negatively affect accuracy of shooting as well as dexterity to reload. training is huge and will help to minimize messing up. But as seen in the studies of police shootings. The human biological effects are real and significant and cannot be overlooked. Even the best most highly trained individual is NOT immune from these real physiological responses.

A person may be able to shoot a fly off a cows rear end at 25 yards at the range. But when the **** hits the fan, they will be damned lucky To hit a human at 10 feet with 50% of the shots fired in the real world.

All the more reason if possible to train when out of breath and/or under stress.

One saying to remember: “You will only fight like you train.”

Training matters! And I know many people who carry frequently but never shoot 200 rounds a year! I encourage them that they really need to either get more training, or stop carrying.

So to the OP post. The most important thing is to know BOTH your own AND your guns limitations. If you choose to carry a 5 or 6 shot revolver, know that you must be close to your target As you may only hit the bad guy with 2 shots. And with shaky hands and a speed loader may be very difficult to accomplish. A magazine fed weapon hopefully decreases your need to have to do a reload. But smaller pocket pistols may only have 6 or 7 shots.

And even though you are in church, it is not a good idea to use the spray and pray method simply because you have 16 rounds in the gun or on your person.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Flyingfool; 03-13-2018 at 01:59 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: