View Single Post

Old 03-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Liked 5,572 Times in 1,319 Posts
Default Bought Another One For The Grips

Went to Classic in Macon today. Hadn't been there in nearly a year. They were about to check the obits to see where I was. Of course, he had a huge old Smith & Wesson inventory, including a single shot target 22 that I got to drool over. As usual for me, I asked to see the junky Smiths. He starts pulling out guns and putting them on the counter. This is what you get when you go to a gun store that doesn't do much with Gun Broker. . .a really great LGS! He knows I love the old 32's, but said they have sort of vanished over the past year. This one hits the counter and I grab it. Dirty and heavily oxidized, but look at those perfect MOP grips. . .they are perfect! I didn't really look at the gun. Actually didn't even want it. He let me have it for $175. People are really missing the boat on these old top breaks. They are drying up. Turns out it's an unmessed with gun. Look at those perfect screws. No pitting around the forcing cone. Very good plus bore and cylinder. Perfect mechanically. A lot of the original nickel present although it is thinning in many places, but there is no peeling. The grips are fitted perfectly. Made in 1904-1905 when Smith wasn't using medallions on their grips. I think the MOP grips are factory, but who knows. They have aged with the gun. I was going to use the grips on another top break, but decided to leave them with this gun they came on. It looks a lot like Teddy Roosevelt's old 38 bought around the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH 4th 1905 Pic 1.jpg (79.4 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg SH 4th 1905 Pic 2.jpg (81.8 KB, 344 views)