View Single Post

Old 03-18-2018, 09:20 AM

Liked 3,829 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsn View Post
wc, with regard to the -use- of a .357 snub in a civilian self defense shooting; I am of the opinion that a prosecutor would have little difficulty in convincing a jury that one who used this gun/caliber was reckless for the reasons anyone who has shot this platform with the magnum ammo is aware of.

The platform that is chosen, the caliber of the handgun and the amount of ammo that one has available show intent-mindset, I am convinced of this.

Should you prefer the .357 then good for you-I think you're nuts and really hope that you don't need that second shot especially if it is a very quickly needed second shot.

The Mrs. left today with her .22 wmr and there is no doubt in my mind that she has all the bases covered.

I fully support the right of anyone to legally carry any gun they wish regardless of how over gunned and over ammo capacity I think they are.

Remember 'we' will require less than 2 at about arms length away and that is IF simply showing the wheelie doesn't take care of the problem.
You are making lots of assumptions and statements with zero facts to back them up. If you can reference a single case where someone that defended themselves with a .357mag snubby was prosecuted because of the gun/caliber combination I would love to see it. The truth is that the .357mag has been in common use in LE, and as a popular civilian self defense choice, for literally generations, making it one of the more defensible caliber choices available.

In addition, your assumption that one can't make fast follow up shots with a .357 is ridiculous. It may be that you aren't capable but that doesn't mean that others can't do it.

"The platform that is chosen, the caliber of the handgun and the amount of ammo that one has available show intent-mindset, I am convinced of this."
Exactly what intent/mindset is shown by people that choose other guns/caliber/capacity combinations than you do? I often carry a 1911 in .45cp, what does that say about my intent/mindset? My nightstand gun is a 14 shot .45 and today I'll be carrying a 3" .41mag while I work around my property and run errands, but tomorrow I'll be carrying a 5 shot .38spl snubby when I go to work, what does all of that say about my intent/mindset?

Does a person that chooses to carry the same 15 shot Glock 19 as their local PD have a different intent/mindset than the person that chooses to carry a 5 shot 9mm revolver? Is their choice "reckless" by comparison?

Everybody has opinions but it's hard to give credence to opinions that have no basis in fact and have no evidence to back them. If you have anything other than your feelings to support your arguments, I'd love to hear it.

To the OP - congrats on your purchase. I've always been a fan of the 9mm in a short barrel revolver because it's such an efficient cartridge. I have a custom 9mm 360J that has been one of my most often carried revolvers for close to a decade.