View Single Post

Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Liked 824 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Guano View Post
Mine is about 7 years old and has about 5000 rounds through it... Extractor is the original. I keep the bolt and bolt guide rails well lubricated, and when the crud buildup on the face of the bolt gets excessive I clean it up...

As .22 semi autos of any type go, it's as trouble free as they get.
I've only had mine 5+ yrs now but have a bunch more rds thru them shooting Rimfire Challenge and Steel Challenge. The extractors, springs and plungers are original, I break one or two firing pins per year. I only clean them before "real" matches. They don't get fussed over. I used my back-up rifle for practice and our club matches, didn't clean it and waited to see how long it would run. Not sure how many rds but it was 6+ mothes before it jammed. The chamber finally got crudded up enough to create problems.

Bolts are run dry. There's NO reason to run the bolt wet. It doesn't touch anything but the guide rails and the hammer as it cocks it. I brush accumulated crud off the bolt face making sure I get the rim recess clean. When they were new I ran a stone across the guide rails to take off any burrs and make sure they were straight. I also initially adjusted the ejector. They haven't needed further adjustment.

I brush off the barrel face and then clean the chamber with a .243 bore brush on a piece of cleaning rod chucked in a variable speed drill motor going in thru the upper. The spinning brush gets the chamber clean much better/faster than just pushing a brush thru. ONLY clean the chamber this way. I occaisionally clean the crud that accumulates in the upper around the bolt face. Then I do the usual brush and patches to clean the barrel. The last wet patch I run thru the barrel is the only lube the top end gets.

I run Geissele trigger groups that have extra power hammer springs. Extra power hammer springs definitely help rimfire reliability. I also use Geisseles 901 Colt hammer and trigger pins. They're longer and the right length so they sit flush with the rcvr outer surfaces.

Make sure you stagger the rds when loading mags. Use thin super glue on the top rear magazine seam. The seam above the slot you look at the rim stagger thru. That seam cracks and opens up with loaded mags letting the feed lips spread. Causes problems when that happens.

My primary 15-22 (I have a duplicate back-up) just got one of Volquartsens' CF barrels. Big accuracy improvement and being 3/4 Lb lighter it really changes how the rifle feels/swings.

Misfires/jams have become so rare the first thing I do If I get one is check to see if the firing pin broke. Just FWIW.

Last edited by tomcatt51; 03-19-2018 at 12:06 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: