View Single Post

Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

My recommendations are, like all of the above, heavily biased toward my personal likes and dislikes. But to answer your question, first you need to choose a revolver that you are actually willing to carry regularly. Size and weight make a difference. These can be accomodated, if you are willing to do so. J Frame or K Frame, my preference is a steel framed revolver for EDC. It is easier to shoot, easier to hold still, and handles recoil better. I'm not recoil sensitive but I like to shoot a lot of rounds through what I carry too! My favorite J Frame is my Model 640-1, which is chambered in .357/.38 Special. I carry and shoot +P .38 Specials (Gold Dot 135 grain for short barrels or a good semi wadcutter style 158 grain loading). I believe those will do nicely if you can quickly deliver them to the right place under pressure. I prefer the Centennial style revolver for personal protection carry. I never carry a J Frame in my pants pocket. Only occasionally in a jacket pocket. No problem here with 5 good rounds.

For K Frames, any of the steel framed snubbies in .38 Special or .357 mag, again carried with the above ammo. I don't care for the L Framed revolvers for EDC. Six rounds here are great. My favorite EDC K Frame is a Model 10 fixed sight with a 3" barrel. All my revolvers, with few exceptions, are older models perfectly capable of holding up to higher pressure loadings if not over done. I carry on my belt, a good double thickness leather belt that supports the weight of the steel frames and I carry in a good leather holster that works well for me. Don't cheap out when buying leather! Get good quality stuff!

Grip styles and shapes and sizes affect concealability, but they must fit YOUR hands well for you to do your best work with the revolver. I have a set of Crimson Trace Model 305 extended red laser grips on my Model 640. They fit my hands well and they are also pretty easy to conceal with the right holster. OEM magna grips with a grip adapter can work pretty well too! Same thing with my EDC K Frame snubs. I prefer a round butt K Frame since the grip is easier to conceal but I need at least the grip adapter to get a good grip on the revolver. There are many good and different choices among the grips available, both wood and composite. Pachmayer compacts are hard to beat for shooting as well as carrying for me.

Yes, I very much like, and can carry, a longer barrel. But every day all day long carry adds up, and extra weight is noticeable. An EDC should be comforting to you when you carry it, but you must carry it all the time cause you don't know when you might need it. So it also needs to be as comfortable to carry as possible for EDC. There are still many good choices among the J and K framed revolvers that were made in the 60's, 70's, and even into the 80's available if you are patient and look for them. An EDC doesn't have to be the prettiest thing to be great to carry. Yeah, I like mine to look good, but mostly, I am the only one who will ever see them. Function is more important to me than form! But it doesn't matter what someone else likes best. Find one that fit you, especially your hands, your needs, and that you can shoot well. If you have confidence in it, it will likely serve your needs best. It's not what I can do with it, it's what you can do with it, and whether or not it's something you can carry without problems every day all day long! Good luck in your search!