View Single Post

Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 PM

Liked 1,495 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpg View Post
If the discussion boils down to ammo capacity differences between a revolver and a pistol, the discussion is misleading.

The appropriate focus is on what gun you can shoot well at longer distances than are commonly associated with typical sd applications.

In this light, tiny 380’s and j frames are disqualified for the vast majority of shooters. They simply can’t reliably hit at 25 yards with such weapons.

This leaves full sized pistols such as 1911’s and K frame revolvers as the guns of choice.

The issue isn’t how many shots you can get off before reloading but rather what you can hit with.

I’m always amused by those who must be planning to miss a lot, so they think they need a large capacity gun, offering themselves up as protectors.
Hitting an assailant does not equate to stopping an assailant. There are reasons an assailant may not stop. Drugs, body armour, psychosis, etc.....I am a die hard revolver fan and believe that for the average person in a situation where you may face one or two attackers, the revolver is adequate. After reading "Why police carry semi-automatics" by Masaad Ayoob, I am convinced that for self-defense, the semi-auto is the way to go. Many of us CCW because we are trying to prepare for the unexpected. You can never know what to expect to face when you go out each day. So prepare, as much as reasonably possible, for the worse. Today's autos are very reliable and bullet designs much more effective than in the past. Astonishingly, good quality autos, like the M&P Shield can be had for under $400. At the same time, quality shooter grade revolvers like the Model 10 are pushing well in excess of that price. I used to be all about all steel revolvers. Never even thought about looking at Tupperware pistols and wouldn't have bought one for 25 cents on the dollar if I had. Now, I love my Shield for the great utilitarian tool that it is. Don't get me wrong, revolvers have their place. But where my family's life is concerned, I will take an auto over nostalgia any time.

Last edited by otis24; 03-22-2018 at 07:23 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: