View Single Post

Old 03-23-2018, 02:29 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,373 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opoefc View Post
Mike, In your research on the subject did you ever come across any mention of a patent on the process, or formula, used to make these cases? I would think that whoever came up with the process might have had the smarts to patent his ( or her) idea, since it was used widely to fulfill the markets demand for the product. Ed ( James, I would be happy to donate a case for forensic analysis, however I'm fresh out of them, having used my last one to case an old Iver Johnson I sold to a pigeon for big bucks ! I will accept donations, however.)
If I did, Ed, it would have been in Krainik's book. I seem to recall he makes mention of the ingredients, but I don't know if there are any specific recipes in there. I'll check this weekend.

In terms of gun grips: I took a look at a Sharps Pepperbox, and the grips on it strike me as different than some of the late 19th century plastic grips that my S&W's came with. I can't quite say how they look different (I'll need to look at them side-by-side a little more closely this weekend), but I'm wondering if the Sharps grips are gutta-percha, or they're just some other semi-synthetic thermoplastic recipe?

Either way, this is making me realize that I need to be a bit more careful about how I toss the term "gutta percha" around. It sounds like "thermoplastic" is a better catch-all term.

Mike