View Single Post

Old 03-23-2018, 02:44 PM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Model 1 - 3 Confused on dating

Hello eveyone,

I really need your help on dating this gun! I do not have any of the S&W books or Roy's bible anymore and I have looked on the internet and on this forum, but I must say that the dating on these early models is all over the board and very confusing. I have seen on this forum for example that the serial# 131439 was stated as "most likely" not long after 1881 but then in another post the serial # 114755 was manufactured in 1867, and another post with "My 3rd Issue # is 48122 and it shipped Mar, 1871". Even the date when the gun was first produced is confusing, because I find the date 1868 (wikipedia for one) and then 1865 on the forum.

It would really be great if we had a Sticky on these and dating them for those of us that do not have these books.

As another forum member posted a while back, he was in the Netherlands and needed it for legal reasons for ownership in Holland. Basically I need the same info for the same reasons, to know for sure if this gun was produced prior to 1 Jan. 1869, or could a court prove that this gun was manufactured after that date?

So I am really confused, and could really use the forums expert help. I have read that the factory records for these early models were almost nonexistent, is that also true?

I hope I got the info correct that you guys need for dating. I also have attached photos.

Here is the Info:
1. S&W Model 1 3rd issue
2. Tip-Up SA Revolver
3. S# 57176
4. Mfg marks: appears to be a X9 on frame Grip, Frame Barrel and Cylinder
5. 22 short, 7 shot fluted cylinder
6. Spur trigger
7. Bird's head wooden grip with matching SN on RH grip
8. Etched on Barrel: Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass. Pat Apr 9. 55, July 5.59 Dec 18.60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun1.jpg (36.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg gun2.jpg (32.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg gun9.jpg (33.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg gun10.jpg (44.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg gun12.jpg (53.9 KB, 41 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: