View Single Post

Old 03-26-2018, 09:34 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,515 Times in 1,306 Posts

Pam, "..nothing holds it in the cocked position..". My response goes back to your hesitancy to remove the Ivory stocks; I would recommend very carefully removing them and flushing the hammer/trigger mechanism area with a good solvent. An aerosol spray like PB Blaster, Break-free, or even an automobile brake cleaner applied liberally to the 'guts' of the revolver will flush 100+ years of stuff out of the action. Flush and operate the action; flush again. And again. While this may not solve the problem; it doesn't require taking Grampa's revolver apart, more than removing the ivories, and the aerosol solvent is a cheap fix ($10) if it works. The revolver will need oiling after the solvent bath. If you have an aerosol can of compressed air that is used for dusting your computer keyboard then use it to dry the revolver's internals before oiling. I feel you are becoming the conservator of this revolver by default.

"So, does one repair with non-original parts?" Original part exist but are few and far between and often expensive. There are very limited resources available that might either have parts or have the ability or patience to make the parts. Try the 'flushing-with-solvent' first as the revolver doesn't look to have ever been abused to need a part.
Mike Maher #283
The Following 6 Users Like Post: