View Single Post

Old 03-27-2018, 12:59 AM

Liked 2,955 Times in 1,021 Posts
Default What did you load today?

I thought it might be interesting to discuss our reloading efforts in some detail.

I've got a buddy coming to town, and I know he rarely gets to shoot so I'm loading up some practice rounds.

Last night:

200 x 44 Magnum - 7.0 gr of Trail Boss, Summer Enterprises 240gr LSWC, CCI large primers. I've shot a bunch of this and it's a fun range load that's essentially a 44 SPL load. I've also got a box of 240gr American Eagle JSP 44 mag that he can shoot a few of for the real magnum experience.

Tonight:

300 x .38 SPL - 4.2 gr Trail Boss (Hodgdon's max recommended load), Summer Ent 158gr LRNFP, CCI small primers. I've also shot this load and it's another pretty mellow load for plinking.

I've been using Trail Boss lately because my LGS was low and that's what he had left. It meters well thru my Lee Auto Drum, not so well thru my Hornady Lock and Load drop. It seems a bit dirty to me, but I do like that it's glaringly obvious if the bullet is undercharged. Basically if the shell isn't full of powder, something is off. That said, Trail Boss is good for one thing - low power loads. Even a max charge is very tame compared to other powders.

I might load some mid-level 357 tomorrow just for variety, but it's probly not necessary. I've got plenty, and he's bringing a 9mm he wants to shoot some as well.

What did y'all load today?