View Single Post

Old 03-30-2018, 08:55 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,515 Times in 1,306 Posts

HI, b) here. You don't want to disturb the patina that has formed on the ivory through years of use. That quickly destroys the collector value and interest. At the most, I'd wipe them with a little alcohol on a soft rag AFTER any repair(s). When (if) you get the broken piece, then I'd clean the adjoining broken edges with alcohol and glue them together with Stupid Glue (Cyanoacrylate). I would not clean the grip surface until the broken pieces were bonded as any spill of Stupid Glue will bond instantly to the surface and make removal that much more difficult when clean. IF a spill happens, then it will need to be removed (a razor blade comes to mind). The resultant scrape (if irritatingly noticeable) can be minimized with brewed Tea.

After all repairs, I'd wipe the surface with denatured, store bought, alcohol and lightly apply Baby oil to the outside surface; leaving the inside uncoated.

In the FWIW category, ivory in museums often have a small vial of water in the case with the ivory. They usually do not put baby oil on their ivory sculptures but they do put water in the case to raise the humidity to keep their prizes from cracking.
Mike Maher #283
The Following 4 Users Like Post: