View Single Post

Old 04-01-2018, 01:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,935 Times in 3,651 Posts

That's an interesting point: "------------we should know when the letter arrives."

I'm in the process of composing a post about letters---actually it's more about what we know, what we don't know, what we speculate about, and what we understand---about what we know, don't know, and what we speculate about.

In this case for instance, we know letters invariably mention the grips. I thought I knew how the letters were researched---check the shipping records, check the invoice, write the letter. It would appear there's more to it than that. I have some shipping records---also some invoices. Neither say anything about grips. So I get to add that to what I don't know-----is there another source examined that tells about the grips? Maybe someone can tell us about that.

Another thing is barrel lengths-----they too are invariably mentioned in letters. I have some invoices on K-22/40's--and they mention barrel lengths. I don't know why they mention barrel lengths, 'cause they're all the same. But I have a letter on a single shot that says they don't know what the barrel length is. Actually what it says is "We are unable to verify the barrel length." That was disappointing (pretty much burned my butt) because the barrel length is the most important thing about that gun. That's one of those things that probably gave rise to that old saying about "Some times you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you.". Anyhow, this time I figured there might be a way to double check that letter----so I ordered another one---on the same gun. Guess what?!! That letter says it has a 6" barrel. No more burned butt. Now I have to add that experience to the list of things I don't know about----and the things I don't understand.

One thing I know about is what we don't know about when the guns were made/finished being made. We've pretty much never known about that. We've been told stuff to explain why we don't know about that---and I reckon we accept it----but don't really understand it.

A case on point: I have a couple of guns I speculate were made pretty much at the same time----same day even. So I asked about it. That was a BIG mistake!! That's because I was told when they were made----perzactly-----in writing yet. WHOA!! Now I don't know how they knew when they were made. I don't know why they can't/don't tell us when all of them were made----and I don't understand either of those things I don't know-----and I'm not much inclined to speculate about either. I am inclined to fuss and fume about it, but I'll probably put that off until I come to understand what I don't know----if I live that long----which seems unlikely.

I wonder if we'll hear from anybody who knows about these things we don't know about. I wonder too if we'll understand what somebody might tell us about these things we don't know about. I reckon anything is possible.

Ralph Tremaine

I just thought of something else---Bob (red9) pretty much knows when his gun was made/finished being made. That's because it's on the Club Gun List (Right about a third of the way down, right?)--or he at least implied it was----I haven't looked. I speculate (pretty much know) there's another list---tells about when the guns (like pretty much ALL of them) were put in "the shipping vault". So, is it possible some guns were made/finished on one day, and put in the vault on another day---like the next day? Certainly! Is the next day close enough for the folks who care about when their gun was made? I would certainly hope so!

Last edited by rct269; 04-01-2018 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: