Thread: Shield .380 EZ
View Single Post

Old 04-02-2018, 05:56 PM

Liked 658 Times in 340 Posts

This gun was not designed to fire +P or hot ammo (manual says NO +P). The reason you have a round ejecting from the mag to the ground and one chambering is the ammo. I had a 10mm Smith model #1006 that did that with hot ammo and needed a 20lb recoil spring to replace the #18 one from the factory to correct the problem. At some point there will be heavier recoil springs on the market to replace the stock one but will the frame etc. hold up to heavier recoil?

What makes this gun so easy to rack the slide is a weaker recoil spring. I believe the gun will be totally reliable with standard defense ammo but as always,you need to find what the gun will shoot. It is also possible the other issues you are having is also ammo related.

There is a lot of discussion about trigger reset. When you are under stress you WILL NOT be thinking about resetting your trigger. As a civilian I would NOT train using that procedure! The last thing you need in a self defense situation is to press the trigger-release the trigger and press it again and nothing happens because you did not let the trigger out far enough to reset. JMO.
Many years ago when shooting a revolver for State requlification,that happened to me with a new,unfamiliar gun. I was short stroking the trigger. The factory rep shot it a few weeks later and said there was no problem with the gun. (My bad).

Everyone enjoy their new EZ. I am waiting for the LGS to put one in rental so I can shoot it (hands getting weaker with age). This gun maybe my next carry pistol to replace my 9mm shield. I carry a 2” J frame size 38 Special revolver now with 2 speed strips for backup ammo.

Be SAFE and shoot often!