View Single Post

Old 04-03-2018, 03:56 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,590 Times in 2,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPac View Post
All you big tough ready at a moments notice to kill a dog, I hope you all have more common sense than what you portray across these boards.

When it comes to dogs, it really helps to be a DOG PERSON. If you don't like dogs, are never around dogs, and especially don't UNDERSTAND dogs, then I"m going to say your shoot first ask questions later will probably get you in trouble sooner or later.

Just because a dog runs in your direction, viciously barks at you, or BOTH, doesn't mean the dog will do anything. I know a little sheltie that will run up on you barking with "destruction" but is too scared to make contact. You going to shoot that little sheltie because it strikes "fear" in you?

What about the German Shepherd in my yard that will immediately start barking at a stranger (scarily) and even run toward the stranger staying within the perimeter of my yard (won't leave perimeter), you going to shoot it because it strikes "fear" in you? Even though it won't leave the yard and won't bite or make contact? How do you know it's trained like that? You don't.

The point being, is your "fear" or "perceived threat" ACTUALLY a threat? It's not that easy of a question/answer for the reasons I mention.

I'm sorry, but I can take a bite to the forearm before I put an animal down, or if the dog isn't big enough to pose life threatening injuries then surely I'm not going to do anything to it, regardless of how "mean" or "scary" it may be. The only time would be extremely large aggressive dogs that may put me in "fight" mode. Although, if you really understand dogs most situations can be de-escalated or avoided. However, most "dog people" don't even truly understand dogs. The rest of the populace I find to be completely unhinged when it comes to dogs and interacting with dogs. There is a reason Ceasar Milan can train dogs that nobody else can even approach.

Sounds like too much living in fear for some. I'm far more concerned about 2 legged threats, much harder to deal with.
I'm not taking a bite to the forearm if I can avoid it, and it is NOT incumbent on every citizen to be a "dog person" and understand every antisocial or non-antisocial intention of a dog. Dogs and dog owners beware.

Nevertheless, I agree that many or most dogs do demonstrate territoriality, and demonstrate what seems to be offensive intent INSIDE their territory. However, it seems to me that most extend the area about a couple of yards beyond what the law prescribes. IMO, the human who is appropriately aggressive in response to a dog is well advised not to get into a urination competition over a few yards. I have NEVER had to shoot a dog, but I have occasionally gotten slightly hoarse from "barking" back at them. I walk a lot.