View Single Post

Old 04-03-2018, 07:10 PM

Liked 26,355 Times in 9,136 Posts

I make 45 Colt shot shells from 460 S&W brass trimmed to 1.60". Over the powder ( 5.7 grains of WW231) I use a cork card for Black Powder, then I use 1/2 ounce of #7.5 shot with another cork card over the shot. I seal the case mouth with a silicone based sealant (Gutter seam sealer from Lowe's) LET CURE FOR 3 WEEKS!

The velocity is 700-725 fps the pattern is 12" at 12' from a 5.5" revolver. Tears up Copperheads like you wouldn't believe!

The only problem you may encounter is your chamber may be tapered beyond the standard case mouth. I corrected this with a 44-40 die to slightly reduce the case mouth for about 7/16".

These work great in single action, double action, and lever action guns. You could increase the powder charge for more velocity but the pattern falls apart! 7.5 shot give the most pellets and still retain energy, but you would better served with slightly larger shot, than with smaller shot. Any lead or magnum shot is fine. Steel or plated steel will be very hard on your rifling, but brass, copper, or bronze round things (bearings or BB's) are usable.

If you buy a bag of brass, you can split it with friends, or give these as a Christmas gift! So far, they have been reloaded 3 times without needing resized. I made 61 in the batch and have given about 36 away, my friends really like them!

Ivan