Thread: CC for the Mrs
View Single Post

Old 04-03-2018, 09:14 PM

Liked 12,728 Times in 3,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
I agree with the Ayoob material, but I suspect that if a woman, or many men, tried an Airweight snub and the same model in all steel the difference in comfort would favor the steel. They aren't that much heavier or harder to carry.

A side note: Ayoob's thoughts apply at least equally well for someone of either sex who is elderly and looks vulnerable.
I agree. A lot of alloy frame revolvers are sold under the assumption that women won't carry a heavier revolver. That's a very questionable assumption.

However the alloy frame 442 or 642 weighs 14.7 oz while the stainless steel 642 weighs 22.4 oz. That 7.7 oz difference isn't all that significant in comparison to many women's "every day carry". That extra weight however make the steel frame revolver much more pleasant to shoot with both standard pressure and.38 +P loads. And, a women who actually shoots her revolver on a regular basis is going to be far more likely to be comfortable with it, carry it, and be effective with it if she ever needs to use it in self defense.