View Single Post

Old 04-03-2018, 10:14 PM

Liked 178 Times in 49 Posts

Hi Sal,

Thanks for your thoughts. This gun is what a relative called “tight.” No wobble, no loose joints, no creaking when she gets up in the morning....

The reason I initially worked on the gun was to learn as much as I could about the gun and its history. I also felt it would renew a bond I had with my late grandfather (it did). I already feel an ownership I didn’t feel previous to cleaning the gun and talking to you folks/collectors. I didn’t work on the gun myself to avoid spending money on the gun. I’ll drop shiny coins when i know what’s wrong w trigger, etc. and when I’m ready to have it professionally cleaned.

I will keep the original ivory stocks for above reasons.

I look forward to your additional comments, Sal. It’s really impressive how many of you spend a great deal of time and effort helping the newbies out. Thanks!

Pam

not
Quote:
Originally Posted by model3sw View Post
Hi, Pam. well ... yaaaaaah, I'd say a proper burial is in order for those stocks. I suggest you seek another decent set of stocks, wood is just fine.

Buying another set of Ivory stocks or having a set made (if that is even legal any more) would be cost prohibitive, I feel.

If you decide to preserve this one, first get the mechanical issued corrected properly, then I'd go as far as to shoot the bundle it would cost to find a nice set of vintage Ivories for it.

If, when gun is closed, you do not have any looseness or slop at the clasp and / or hinge areas then spend a few bucks on it. However, if it is worn to the point of feeling loose or sloppy when closed, I reconsider seriously how much, if anything, I'd spend on it.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: