View Single Post

Old 04-04-2018, 08:12 PM

Liked 4,377 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule3 View Post
Get what?

What exactly is your question?
The engineers of all the revolvers are wrong?

You did not answer my first post

Are 357 mag and 38 special brass the same size? Yes, the brass is the same other than length,

So does a 357 fit in a 38 special? No, so the cylinders must be different.
If (as in the case of the .357 vs. .38 M640) a manufacturer simply cuts the chambers 1/10 inch shorter so Politicos can feel safer because thier Police must use .38 Spl in thier M640. Well, intelegent folk can handload 11.5 grains of 2400 under a lead bullet with both .38 and .357 grooves. Crimp the bullet in the inside (.38) groove, then chamber the round in thier .38 only M640 and fire it. I have one of each and make my loads in .38 brass so it is interchangeable.

No large manufacturer like S&W is going to "down" engineer a small production run item, it would cost money and what exactly would it accomplish.

Note I am not saying a M10 is a M13 or a M64 is a M65. But look at the GP-100, what would Ruger and Company save by having two or three different parts or production standards for .38, 9mm, .357?

It makes more sense to have all the same parts except for the actual bores. So if the cylinder is the same material with the same heat treatment, and the effective volume of the case under the bullet is the same, and the brass is the same other than length, everything works just fine.

Not so with the LCR. The .38 came first. To handle the increased pressure of 9mm/.357 the aluminum frame was replaced by a stainless steel one. Will it catostophically fail, I would not think so, will it crack, strrrretch, become unreliable, that is my guess.

Modern brass such as from Starline is made to handle 9mm/.357 pressure, even if its .38 Short Colt brass. Its cost effective (and an advertising point). I load 148 grain LHBWC for .38 S&W, I just make sure I load them 'out' so I have the same volume underneath as the 145 LRN standard for the caliber. Looks silly, works beautifully.