View Single Post

Old 04-04-2018, 11:57 PM

Liked 257 Times in 105 Posts

I concur with grover99. A few years ago I confronted (over a pistol barrel) a drug-crazed loon who was trying to pound his way into the family cabin. It turns out that he was trying to escape from a mob of other druggies who had just beaten him. I called 911 and stated that someone was trying to force his way into my house, that I was armed and that I was prepared to shoot the intruder. It took almost an hour before the only available LE officer, the local game warden, showed up.

I stumbled upon some teenagers burglarizing my father-in-law's home last fall. One ran, but I convinced the other to stay put. I called 911, and stayed on the line With the operator. The operator told me that officers were on scene and ended the call. I was relieved to see, out of my peripheral vision, someone quickly rounding the corner of the house. Imagine my surprise when I looked up to see a group of very angry bikers, the family of the teens, running toward me. I ended up drawing my pistol from my pocket and leveling at the first guy in the group, but they kept coming. The thought flashed through my mind that I could not afford to be disarmed since I was with my 11-year-old son. I picked out some object on the ground and told myself that I was going to fire if the first guy crossed that line. Thank god, the guy stopped just short of that line. There followed a few tense minutes of them shouting threats and me repeatedly telling them to "get back!" Eventually they did get back and had started to leave the property when police stopped the group at the head of the driveway. The second situation occurred in the city with plenty of officer resources. Although the response time was much faster in the city, it still wouldn't have saved my butt if those people had gotten ahold of me.
I have told my father-in-law that I am going to allow his house to be robbed next time. Honestly, if possible I will retreat and call 911 from a safe distance. There are too many things that could have gone wrong. I was physically sick over the knowledge that I could have shot one of the teen burglars and damn near shot an adult.
The Following User Likes This Post: