View Single Post

Old 04-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Liked 1,531 Times in 368 Posts

I've tested about 2 dozen different bullets with a dozen different powders in my Colt Gold Cup Trophy 9mm. My findings won't translate directly to any other gun but I suspect some of my generalizations will hold true for many.

My goal is accuracy....the velocity will be what it will be.

Plated 115's from Berry, Rainier & Xtreme ...piddling differences among them. Any and all are "adequate" for plinking and shooting steel out to 35 yds. Trying to pick a winner in the accuracy department was fruitless. Deciding factor would be cost/availability and for me that's Xtreme. At about 8 cents each, I've shot thousands at 7-10 yds with the wife and kids.

Jacketed 115HP's, conventional and truncated from Zero, Magnus and Montana Gold shoot a bit more accurately as a category than the plated. For a 115 shoot-em-up for the family, my next of order of a couple thousand will be one of those at 9-10 cents apiece.

The Hornady 125 HAP represented a significant step up in accuracy. Enough so that I wanted to find a 124HP for my bread 'n' butter steel challenge load. The best I could do on the HAP's @ 15-16 cents apiece was cost-prohibitive. I now have 8,000 Montana Gold 124HP's that were 10 cents each delivered to my doorstep....to save 2 cents apiece ($100 a year on 5,000 rounds) I'll never buy plated again.

When the weather breaks, I'll start 50-yard Ransom Rest testing to find THE accuracy load.