View Single Post

Old 04-05-2018, 05:49 PM

Liked 1,653 Times in 809 Posts

The model 19 was intended to be 357 capable, clearly they did not stand up to a continual battering of 357 rounds. In my youth I knew officers that carried 38/44 in both K frames, and J frames. At one time the light Colt Police Positive was advertised capable of firing 38/44. The 19 was supposed to have improved steal, and heat treatment. But I have a hard time believing that once the improvements were made that Smith would spend extra money to do separate treating to make a weaker firearm than the 19. Just does not make any sense, it did not make sense for Bill Ruger either, the 38 spl Sec Six models were made to the same standards as the 357 models. Think of the liability of actually intentionally making a gun weaker than the current technology is capable.

I rarely shoot hot loads in my model 64, but I carry 38/44 wadcutter, and semi wadcutter loads. I have fired limited numbers of the rounds for accuracy, and chrono testing. After that I only carry those loads, and hopefully never need to use them, or any other load.
The Following User Likes This Post: