Thread: 9mm Competition
View Single Post

Old 04-06-2018, 03:23 AM

Liked 6,021 Times in 1,305 Posts

I have been shooting a 9mm in IPSC Classic division for the past few months.

Projectile of choice is a 124 gn bullet which can easily make the 125 PF level with some "safety room".

Last month I loaded some plated truncated cone flat points for a level III comp instead of the PRN I usually shoot and had run out of. Big mistake as they tended to misfeed for the first 2 or 3 rounds in the mag (10 round mags). The 124 gn PRN have never jammed like this.

I had been loading 5.5 gn of the old Winchester Power Pistol, sold here under a local label, which worked okay but there would be regular misses/wild shots. Initially I put this down to my shooting, but then I ran a comparison with 4.2 gn Tightgroup. The wild/missed shots ended (as long as I did my part) and overall group size halved. I have not chronographed this load as yet but it feels just a little light, so the next batch (which will be chronographed) will be 4.4 gn.

I am going back to .45 ACP for a comp next weekend, and will probably stick with his calibre for most of my competition shooting. But the 9 will get regular outings.
The Following User Likes This Post: