View Single Post

Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 AM

Liked 9,470 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Hooker View Post
I owned one for a bit. It was in nickle too. ( Maybe the same gun given our location?) It was beautifully made and I thought that it would make a nice pistol to train my niece /recoil sensitive shooters. What I found was that despite it's weight, muzzle flip was surprisingly significant for a 380 in such a heavy gun. Not punishing by any means but not as light as expected. In the end, I found no advantage to teaching with it over my fleet of mid sized 9mm's ( my M&P9c comes to mind.) and I traded it off.
That said, I'm not sorry I had a chance to own one. It was a NICE gun.
Thanks very much Dave. I was actually in your shop just 2 days ago continuing my search for a dirt cheap "used & abused" pre-IL S&W revolver to use as a test case for local refinisher. But that's another story for another time. I did see that your shop had a brand new 84FS just as pretty as the used one up my way.

Clearly, your comments on the 84FS support what other folks have said, most notably LVSteve's comment about the kick and muzzle flip of the blowback design. That's really unfortunate, but not really a surprise at all. It's too bad that such a jewel of a gun has no specific practical use other than as an interesting, flashy conversation piece as Pete pointed out.

So what is a gun like that worth? I'd be investing in a relatively impractical gun with questionable demand and unknown long-term resale value. Haven't run into a case like this one too many times before.