View Single Post

Old 04-06-2018, 02:08 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,693 Times in 530 Posts
Default S&W Model 640-1 Pro Series - Fifth Times the Charm

Some may recall the saga with my 640 Pro and all the issues it has experienced...

As a review, my gun has been returned for point-of-aim/point-of-impact issues, sights falling off, damaged sights, dead tritium vials, canted barrels, missing etchings, mangled etchings, and the latest was a hammer stud which sheared off. It has been an aggravating several years to say the least.

This little revolver just returned from it’s fifth trip back to the mothership to replace a broken hammer stud. It took 65 days from the day I dropped it off at FedEx until it arrived at my door this morning.

I called several days after I shipped it to verify they received the gun. During the call Customer Service informed me, to my aggravation, that this repair would not be covered by warranty! Based on this conversation I have been quite miffed with S&W over the last couple of months.

Today the gun arrived, hammer stud repaired, and with no charges. In addition to the repair, they took my polish job to the buffing wheel and brightened it up. They also replaced both the front and rear sights with new ones.

As an aside, this gun has had a checkered past with sights. On the third trip back they installed a front sight with a dead tritium vial and on the fourth trip back they replaced it with a very dim one. Now both sights are equally bright, the white outlines are intact, and the sight finish is black again compared to the carry/worn finish before.

Overall I’m very happy with the repair. I requested supervisory involvement with this latest return and maybe he/she noted the checkered history of the gun and attempted to set things right. I think they have now finished the manufacturing process and it is finally a completed gun!

I still need to go shoot it to verify functionality, but everything looks good. Hopefully the fifth time back IS the charm (fingers crossed).

Edmo

My 640 Pro

After the Second Barrel Replacement - It Now Hits Where It Points! (5 Rounds at 7 Yards)

Latest Failure - Broken Hammer Stud

Last edited by Edmo; 04-06-2018 at 02:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: